Friday, September 22, 2017

Marvin Miller on Living and Working in Dakota County in the 1940s & 50s


In this article Marvin Miller shares several remembrances of his early work life in Dakota County in the 1940s and 1950s.  They are shared to show how times have changed.
Blyburg
Blyburg is by the hills of Homer, past the O’Connor house.  My maternal family, O’Dell, were from there.  About 1944 when I was in high school, my uncles Walt and Hank Laird got me a job working for a rich and large land owner named Boyle.  The son’s name was Tiny Boyle.  Indians were hired to how corn, and my job was to watch them and keep them working.  It was rather scary, as they would talk Indian language.  I got to sleep and eat in the house.  The indians ate outside and slept in the barn.

Read More 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It Was Bigger Than Both of Us,

by James R. Hartnett Ralph Cunningham came back from the dead, rising up through the sawdust that came from the cottonwood that came from...